Evaluation

Standard

Overall I am very happy with our web-app as we ended up having time to add features that we hadn’t planned to add. As the first time I had made a fully functioning website and having to code in PHP (which I had never done before) I was pleased that by the end of the project I was able to fix errors, add code such as queries and functions and understand the code we had written.

Teamwork played a vital role in being able to finish our web-app. We spent a lot of time outside tutorials trying to fix the code we had written and making sure we had made it to our initial aims of a functioning database connected site with the elements we had set out to incorporate into the site.

Kyle helped us fix the complicated errors and took us through the code that we may not have understood fully, meaning we had a good knowledge of the code we had written. Bootstrap was a very helpful tool in this project and gave us a great CSS basis to work from so we had more time to work out the PHP. We even used a little bit of jQuery to enhance our site and give it some aesthetically pleasing elements like the scrolling down of the log in and sign up forms.

If I was to do this project again I may choose to maybe be a bit more adventurous¬†with the site and do more research on PHP to find some other functions we had not thought of in this project. Design wasn’t our main priority for this project but I would have liked to spend more time on the branding and colours to make a website that would potentially be ready for full use. However I feel that I would be a lot more competent¬†in writing my PHP as I know fully understand its capabilities and how to structure the code to make a fully functioning site.

Teamwork

Standard

This project was very reliant on teamwork. Amy Wichelow and I had never really done much coding before let alone PHP! This meant that we had to work together a lot to get the work done and to be able to understand what the code did.

We spent a lot of time in the labs, both working on the same computer trying to fix errors. Amy seemed to understand the PHP more than I had done so she took me through the code and helped me understand this. I did research on another elements we could add to the site like the timestamp and trying to let a user delete a post. I had some prior knowledge on HTML and CSS so I did a lot of the styling and in the end ended up designing the whole site.

Amy and I communicated a lot outside of the labs if we were trying to get some code to work. I asked for my group’s opinions of the design.

Amy and I tried to stay organised by creating to-do lists on the elements and parts of the coding we still had to do. I took charge of uploading the project to GitHub and installing the Wiki onto the server.

Overall Amy and I worked well as a team and I feel that if we did not work as well we may have not finished the project to the deadline, as we spent a lot of time together trying to fix the code. We weren’t afraid to ask Kyle if after a while of trying to fix an error we were still stuck which helped us understand PHP and PHPMyAdmin in a lot more depth.